The following is a broad selection of readers for anyone interested in dipping their toe into the science of motivation (which, for me, is a composite field which draws on multiple disciplines, eg evolutionary psychology, behavioural economics and decision neuroscience). If you’re new to this, I’d suggest starting with the readers highlighted by an *.
- Barron & Hulleman (2014) Expectancy-value-cost model of motivation
- Berridge (2017) Evolving concepts of emotion and motivation
- *Boekaerts (2010) The crucial role of motivation and emotion in classroom learning
- Cialdini & Goldstein (2004) Social influence: compliance & conformity
- *Cook & Artino (2016) Motivation to learn: an overview of contemporary theories
- *Damgaard & Nielsen (2018) Nudging in Education: a discussion paper
- Domenico & Ryan (2017) The emerging neuroscience of intrinsic motivation
- Feldon et al (2019) Cognitive load as motivational cost
- *Heath & Heath (2010) Switch: how to change things when change is hard
- Katz & Assor (2006) When choice motivates and when it does not
- Kenrick et al (2009) Deep rationality: the evolutionary economics of decision making
- Lavecchia et al (2014) Behavioral Economics of Education: Progress and Possibilities
- *Mccrea (2020) Motivated Teaching: leveraging the science of learning to boost attention and effort in the classroom
- Murayama (2018) The science of motivation
- O’Reilly et al (2017) Behavioural insights for education
- Samson (nd) An introduction to behavioural economics
- Service et al (2014) EAST: Four simple ways to apply behavioural insights
- Walton et al (2012) Mere belonging: the power of social connections
- Yeager et al (2013) Addressing achievement gaps with psychological interventions
Here’s the reading list I curated for @PepsMccrea’s superb Motivated Teaching👇🏻
For the book recos I’ve included podcasts/book reviews. There’s only 1 recommendation for further reading that’s missing🤪
115 links in total, curated into chapters.
— Kathryn Morgan (@KathrynMorgan_2) October 13, 2020
Below are a couple of diagrams of the motivation for learning framework from Motivated Teaching.
Hi, I’m Peps. I write ultraconcise books for teachers: check them out.
Interested in a heavily discounted bulk order (50+) for your school or trust? No problem, just get in touch.
Want to be the first to know when I release a new book or paper? Add your details below, just don’t expect emails too often.